GTIYC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm going to build a boat

2 posters

Go down

I'm going to build a boat Empty I'm going to build a boat

Post  US4822 Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:10 pm

My present 'good' boat is around 20 years old and I'm going to build a new hull. Last year I built 2 new planks and the year before I built 16 insert runners so now I'm going to tackle the hull. I have been saving some vintage clear redwood and just purchased a nice basswood plank from Charlie Svec at 'The Lumber Shed' on Garfield in TC. I also had them re-saw my redwood and the new basswood, very reasonable and very fast turnaround on the milling. I ended up with a little over 5/16" thickness for both materials after planning so that's the laminate for the sides and their book matched to boot. I looked up specs. for both woods on the web and their almost identical so I think it will be a good match, one almost grainless (basswood) and one very straight grained, hopefully the basswood will keep the redwood from splitting while the redwood will provide good directional stability to the grainless basswood, we'll see. Surprisingly the redwood specs are a little stronger than cedar, but not much. I'm going to use bob Gray's plans which of course I'll bastardize as I just can't leave anything alone being a designer by vocation and avocation, but Bob usually thinks things thru pretty well and He's built enough of them to have most of the bugs worked out or at least to have found the easy way around them! I'll keep you posted on the progress. Any comments would pe appreciated - Thanks

US4822
Admin

Back to top Go down

I'm going to build a boat Empty Boat build

Post  us5430 Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:58 pm

Maybe we should have a glue up meeting. Would anyone be interested in seeing a boat being glued up (in stages possibly)? The Opti meeting was pretty cool.

us5430
Admin

Back to top Go down