GTIYC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

collecting materials for my DN hull build

2 posters

Go down

collecting materials for my DN hull build Empty collecting materials for my DN hull build

Post  US4822 Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:48 am

I was lucky enough to get a set of plans and a nice collection of build in progress pictures from Bob Gray so things are starting to come together. I'm hoping to pick up a piece of 12'Lx 30" wide 'Novaply' (glue board) that is used as the backer material for building kitchen counter tops and that I'm going to use as the top of the strong-back to build my hull on and keep it straight during construction. Bob stiffens it up with a perimeter of 2x6 material and slats of 1x3 running athwart-ship with the glue board on top loose so he can move it around to facilitate various clamping positions. Dick doubles up the glue-board layers which he says gives it the needed stiffness without the framing and helps resist warping in storage. Not sure which way I'm going on this one. Any comments?

US4822
Admin

Back to top Go down

collecting materials for my DN hull build Empty Re: collecting materials for my DN hull build

Post  Bob Gray Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:50 pm

i'm sure doubling up and gluing together the nova ply would be stiff enough BUT, this stuff is heavy and two 12 foot pieces glued together is going to take a man and a boy to move about. Bob

Bob Gray
Admin

Back to top Go down