GTIYC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

laying out the DN side profile

Go down

laying out the DN side profile Empty laying out the DN side profile

Post  US4822 Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:22 pm

I'm at it again. Last night I managed to precede with what was for me a difficult task, cutting into the beautiful pieces of wood I have for the sides of my new boat. I wanted to make sure that I was doing this in the best way possible with regards to not just the strength of the future side profile but also the appearance of the finished boat. To do this I started by laying out the side profile pattern which I had already cut out of a piece of thin 'coil stock' alum. sheet metal on the wood. This however covered up the wood that I was going to be cutting so instead I used the pattern cut out from the left over piece of sheet metal my pattern came from, so that I could see the grain of the wood. This allowed me to make the bottom of the boat parallel with the angle of the grain for the strongest use of the wood and also to minimize any irregularities in the grain by moving my pattern cut out around on the wood until I found the best available grain. Since my wood is re-sawn from thicker pieces the sides will be book-matched so finding the best position on one piece of my laminate ment I could measure it's location on the board and transfer it to the adjoining piece insuring identical sides. This took me quite a while as I must have tried at least 4 pattern positions before locating the best positions for both the redwood and the basswood laminates. The greatest difficulty with the basswood was in locating the direction of grain as cutting it was rather like cutting styrofoam except for the rope like grain wrapping itself around the jig saw blade and obscuring my view of the pattern line. The redwood however required cutting with the blade facing 'downhill' away from the crown of the side profile so that the grain tear out was in my scrap piece rather than in the side of the boat. So now I'm ready for gluing. Maybe Tonight!

US4822
Admin

Back to top Go down